About Minister Ferreira
HON. ROMAULD FERREIRA
MP – MARATHON
The Hon. Romauld Ferreira was born on the island of New Providence on September 3, 1969 to May and Joseph Ferreira. He was sworn in as Minister of the Environment and Housing on May 15, 2017.
Minister Ferreira received his early education at St. Matthew’s Parish and Queens College. He obtained a Bachelor of Science (Hons.) degree in Ecology and Chemistry at the University of the West Indies and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of London. He was also called to both the Bar of England and Wales at Lincolns Inn and The Bahamas Bar in 2000 and 2001, respectively.
Minister Ferreira began his legal career at Graham Thompson & Co before joining Bannister & Company and then later establishing the law firm, Ferreira & Co to specialise in environmental law.
Minister Ferreira is an affiliate member of The Bahamas Society of Engineers.
Minister Ferreira is married to Erica Ferreira (nee Pople) and is the proud father of five children.
The Ministry of the Environment and Housing is focused on protecting the health and sustainability of the natural environment in The Bahamas, as well as providing housing needs to low and middle class income families and individuals.
Its areas of responsibility are:
- Protection, Conservation and Management of the Environment
- Relations with National and International Organizations on matters relating to the Environment
- International Convention, Treaties, Protocols and Agreement relating to the Environment
- Reefs and Blue Holes
- Wild Animal and Bird Protection
- Natural History Specimens
- The Bahamas Environment, Science & Technology Commission (BEST)
- Forestry Unit
Relations with The Bahamas National Trust
Relations with the Nature Conservancy
- Bahamas National Geographic and Information Systems (BNGIS) Department
Oil and Natural Gas Exploration and Regulation
Renewable Energy Unit
- Bahamas Public Parks & Public Beaches Authority
- Department of Environmental Health Services
Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Public Sanitation
- Department of Housing
Government Housing Scheme
Construction of medium and low-cost Housing
- The Bahamas Mortgage Corporation
- The Bahamas National Pride Association
- The Youth Environmental Corp